The objections I hear most frequently to memorizing Scripture are “I’m too old to memorize,” or “I just can’t memorize Bible verses.” Everyone can memorize Scripture without excuse. Every Christian needs to develop a plan and be intentional to memorize Scripture because memorizing Bible verse helps us to:
- Grow in Christlikeness and be transformed in our minds (Romans 12:1-2)
- Enjoy daily triumph over sin. (Psalm 119:11)
- Celebrate daily triumph over Satan. When Satan tempted Jesus, He recited Scripture to win victory.
- Provide you with instant access to comfort and counsel those you love.
- Communicate the Gospel to unbelievers with the authority of God’s Word.
- Develop deeper communion with God.
Set a goal. How many verses would you like to memorize this year? One per month is easy. One each week is doable for most people.
Develop a strategy by using notecards or an app such as ScriptureTyper. Get a memory partner to help you and memorize with you. Two are better than one. Keep a list of the Scriptures you’ve memorized and review them regularly.
Watch how God uses these verses in your daily life!